Aren’t you glad I don’t have to talk about how late I am with Davis’ monthly posts after this one?? I am, I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me feel a little bad that I haven’t been as diligent with his as I was with G’s. So…I’m sorry little man… it doesn’t mean I love you and your 1 year old self any less!
I whole heartedly believe it is true what they say, time flies when you’re having fun! And time flies even more when you’re having fun with your kids. So many times I catch myself thinking how in the world did this happen so quickly??
A year has gone by in what feels like the blink of an eye and now I have 2 toddlers! Two mobile little boys who share so many similarities, but at the same time, so many differences.
We had to push Davis’ 1 year well check back quite a bit because he had a little virus a few days before his birthday and with the holiday and everything we were only able to get in for his appointment today, almost an entire month after his birthday. Poor little man had to get 5 shots today and all things considered, he did pretty well. He’s got a clean bill of health and although he’s still our skinny little guy, he continues to follow his growth curve pretty steadily.
Height: 31″ (80%)
Weight: 19lb 11oz (19%)
Head: 46cm (42%)
At Garrett’s 1 year he was 33.5″ tall, 22lb 14oz, and his head was 47 cm, so he was a bit bigger all around, but that is no surprise.
In other news, Davis scored an almost perfect score on his 12 month questionnaire! He’s exactly where he should be as a 1 year old and for that I am thankful.
It’s been a pretty big month in the Brewton household full of lots of milestones that all seemed to happen within the weeks of our Christmas Break.
- Davis took his first unassisted steps about a week or so before his birthday, and he has since been practicing and perfecting his walking
- He can now stand himself up from a sitting position without the help of anyone or anything else, and I find him walking from place to place more so than crawling.
- We had a little birthday party for him at our house, and discovered that he is not a fan of cake,
but he does like presents
- We had a Christmas with Dan’s parents here in NC, then again with my family in Ohio, and then again as just our little family when we got back from our trip.
Needless to say…we got a lot of new toys.
- We made it to 12 months and 6 days of breastfeeding before he decided he was ready to be done. We had been gradually dropping feedings one by one for a few weeks before, and he was down to one nursing session before bed. The night after Christmas at my parents house, he refused to take his cup of milk so I nursed him and rocked him to sleep and the next night when I tried to nurse him again, he wanted nothing to do with it, and has been the same since. I think I may have been a little more sad if I knew he was going to be our last baby, but I am actually very happy with the way we ended that part of our relationship.
I did what I set out to do (which was to nurse him longer than I nursed Garrett (just about 9 months) and I did. I think we were both ready, and now he is drinking milk from a sippy cup 3-4 times a day and is as happy as can be. He still likes to be held and rocked to sleep (which I am totally fine with) and we are completely finished with bottles and paci’s it seems. That was another thing he dropped quite suddenly. He wanted his paci while we were in Ohio, but since we have gotten back home, he wants nothing to do with it because he is now a big 1 year old.
- He’s got 6 teeth and I think he has more on their way, he LOVES Mickey Mouse and smiles and reaches for him every time he comes on the TV
- He wears 12-18 month clothes, size 4.5-5 shoe, and a size 3 diaper (though a 2 still fits him too)
- He is still napping twice a day and I am going to hold on to that for as long as I can. He will eat just about anything you put in front of him with the exception of fruits and sweets (cake, cupcakes, and some cookies) I’m pretty sure he would survive on a diet of just meat, some veggies or soup if I would let him which is completely opposite from Garrett.
- He’s still happiest when he is around and playing with other people, but he is able to play independently for longer periods of time now which is great! He loves to do whatever his brother is doing and it’s pretty funny to watch them “fight” over a specific toy
I’m loving how their relationship is evolving, and I’m sure there will be plenty of days when they are at each others throats, but in the long run, I really do feel that they will be best friends. Garrett is a great big brother to him, he watches over him, and shares with him (sometimes and with certain things) and he always wants him to be included in the fun things that he gets to do. Sure he will still act like he doesn’t see him when he’s running around with one of his trucks and he “accidentally” runs into him but he’s pretty quick to give him a hug if he realizes he’s hurt him.
- Davis babbles while he’s playing with his toys and it’s pretty clear when he’s talking about a ball or bath. He’s consistently sleeping through the night now that he’s not nursing anymore (I’m pretty sure he was waking up just for comfort, and because he knew I would come for him when he cried (my fault, I know) so I am feeling like a different person now that I’m getting 7 or so hours of uninterrupted sleep.
- He climbs up the stairs, and now that he’s figured it out he’s practicing coming down the stairs as well. He is definitely a practice makes perfect type of guy. He’s does not have a lot of fear, and he’s got a bump, bruise or scrape on his face more often times than not. He will continue to be our little dare devil as he gets older, and I’m convinced (though hoping I’m wrong) he will have stitches or a broken bone before too long.
He’s definitely ready to take on the world, and we are so excited to watch him do it. He’s got a fire inside of him unlike any other 1 year old we know and we feel so lucky to be the ones that get to nurture that. I have no doubt he will give us a run for our money, but I also know he will make us so proud while doing it. Davis you have brought so much light into our lives and we are so incredibly blessed to be your parents. We love you more than you will ever know little munchkin!