A Day in the Life

Before I had Garrett I was an educator. I taught elementary aged students for 5 years and pre-school aged students for a year and a half and I loved it! Yes I had my rough days or weeks in some cases, but I still loved it…all of it. I loved the feeling of accomplishment I got on a daily basis and I loved the structure it added to my life. If I don’t have structure I tend to lose motivation and if I lose motivation I start to lose myself and what’s important and healthy for me.

I knew from the day Dan and I brought up the topic of kids that if I was able to I wanted to stay home with them, and I’m fortunate to be able to do that. I love my life and my job as a Mom but it took some getting used to and it constantly takes motivation and planning my weeks/days to make myself feel accomplished. Several people have asked me (especially at the beginning) what I do all day (as if taking care of an almost 7  month old isn’t enough 😉 now that I’m not “working” so I figured I’d do a post about a day in the life of us!

My apologies if what we do with our days doesn’t interest, you don’t have to read 🙂 but my hopes are that you’ll at least enjoy the pictures of our smiley little man!

G’s been waking up around 6 a.m. every morning for a quick feed but he always goes back down afterwards for another hour or 2 making his official wake up time between 7:30 and 8:15. He hardly ever cries in the morning when he wakes up, rather he just lays in his crib and entertains himself (most recently he’s figured out how to turn on his song/nursery rhyme projector and smiles at the songs and pictures on the ceiling)
He ALWAYS wakes up happy, which makes getting up so worth it!


We’ll usually play for a little bit then get dressed and ready for the day


Between 8:30 and 9 Garrett is ready for breakfast so we head downstairs to eat some oatmeal mixed with fruit. He’s a very good eater and will typically eat any type if fruit we give him but pears are his favorites!


After G eats, I eat and then we play some more, change a diaper and (depending on the day of the week) either get ready to go to the gym or play until he’s ready for his morning nap, which almost always comes 2 hours after he wakes up for the day


If we go to the gym, he usually falls asleep in the car for the 10 minutes it takes to get there and no matter how hard I try to keep him asleep when I drop him off in child watch he always wakes up and stays awake for the whole time, so the women feed him and play with him while I workout, and I always get a good report from the staff and compliments on what a happy baby he is so I won’t complain.

If, we’re at the gym he’ll fall asleep again on the way home and though he wakes up when I get him out of the car, I can usually get him to fall asleep as soon as I put him in his crib, and he’ll sleep for about 45 minutes to an hour.

During this time I try to squeeze in a quick shower, and go through my to do list so I can figure out what I need to do for the day.  By the time I get that done, it’s close to Noon and he’s up and ready to play again!

It’s usually around this time that Daddy is able to sneak away from work for a few minutes (it’s nice having him work from home : ) and come and say Hello!

Where is Garrett??

After we play for a few minutes it’s time for lunch so we head back downstairs and eat a fruit/vegetable combination and a little bit of water….followed by some play time with his dishes

Sometimes….we get out and have lunch with friends, and it’s at this time that G gets to practice sitting up like a big boy in a high chair without a tall back : )

When we finish lunch we’ll sometimes take a walk with the dogs or run errands and by the time we finish with all of that, it’s usually time for his afternoon bottle and nap

Yes he seriously does do this to himself….don’t worry, we took his blanket off of his head after we snapped the picture : )

Afternoon naps usually last about an hour and half and I take this time to finish laundry, pick up the house, get things ready for dinner, or just take a break and catch up on my DVR shows…..Mommy needs some time to herself too 😉

When G wakes up, we play a little more (lots of playing in the Brewton Household) and then head downstairs so Garrett can torture play with the dogs while cruising in his motorcycle walker

He’ll play in his walker (or help us cook in his baby bjorn) while I get his dinner ready (usually a meat/vegetable puree) and attempt to make our dinner (if it’s my night to cook) and then we’ll all eat and clean up just in time for some family play time!

After we play for a bit it’s time to warm up his bedtime bottle and head back upstairs for Bathtime which he LOVES!

Dan and I both have to bathe him because he’s such a wild man in the tub….I can’t wait to get him into a pool to see what he does!  Then it’s jammies, bottle and bedtime for this monkey.  We’ve got a great routine for Garrett’s bedtime that fortunately has worked extremely well for us since the beginning.  He never has a problem going to sleep even if he’s wide awake after his bottle.  He’ll play a little in his crib…roll around to get comfortable and within 10 minutes and by about 8 o’clock he’s down for the night!

I love that he’s down pretty early because it gives Dan and I time to just relax and enjoy each other’s company (which is SO important to me) and the perfect ending to my day!

We usually head up to bed around 10 or so and watch a little TV or read so that we can be up and ready to do it again the next day!

What’s your favorite part of the day??

Previous Post
Leave a comment


  1. I love reading about a day in the life! I feel like I haven’t gotten to catch up with you in a while. Is G weened completely?
    PS- love the dehydrator! Thanks again 🙂

    • Thanks! No…G is not weaned…really not even close, but he eats 3 solid meals a day so the amount of times he gets milk has dropped quite a bit. I pump and feed him bottles during the day because he gets very distracted while eating and he has teeth…and it hurts (sorry if it’s TMI). But I can still nurse him at night or early morning when he’s sleepy. I’d like to have him almost weaned around 8 mos so we’ve been adding a couple of ounces of formula to each bottle to try and make the transition easier. However, we’ve tried straight formula a few times, and he will NOT take it. So it’s a slow process, but I’m hoping to increase the amount of formula over time so that it’s easier on all of us. Glad you’re using the dehydrater! I’m going to have to try your kale chips 🙂

  2. I love reading your writings. Love to all…….

  3. Dara

     /  January 19, 2012

    Jenny – I love reading about your days with Garrett. He is precious and I cannot get over his smile in every picture! He sounds like he is quite the pleasant baby. I am so happy for you and that you are getting to be with him at home every day. What a blessing!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: